Ladies and Gentlemen,
I thank China and UN WOMEN for organizing this event and also extend my gratitude to fellow co-chairs, the President of Mexico and the Prime Minister of Denmark.
My Government remains steadfast to the realization of gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls and I wish to elaborate my Government’s commitments as follows:
- My Government commits to safeguard the gains realized by women under our robust Constitution through enactment of appropriate legislation and formulation of policies.
- My Government commits to the implementation and enforcement of these policies and legislation for the realization of our ultimate goal of gender equality.
- My Government further commits to ensuring effective monitoring of the implementation and enforcement of these policies and legislation.
- My Government will also ensure the acceleration of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform For Action and the outcome of the Twenty-Third Special Session of the UN General Assembly (2000).
- My Government commits to allocating adequate resources towards gender equality and to strengthen gender responsive mechanisms for gender sensitive budgeting and the development of a gender development and equality indices.
- To ensure the economic empowerment of women my Government will continue to refine the public procurement policy in order to ensure increased access for women to procurement opportunities.
- My Government will progressively address women’s access to decent work and address the gender wage gap.
- My Government is committed to accelerating the implementation of the National Policy for Prevention and Response to Gender Based Violence and the Prevention against Domestic Violence Act and will continue to engage men and boys in line with HeforShe Campaign.
- My Government commits to eradicating all harmful practices including Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and child marriages.
- We commit to continue ensuring women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision making in political, economic and public life.
- We commit to ensuring universal access to sexual and reproductive health as guaranteed by the Constitution and in accordance with the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action.
- We commit to equal access of quality education for boys and girls, and to strengthen programmes aimed at encouraging and mentoring youth especially women, to pursue careers in Sciences, Technology, ICT, Engineering and Mathematics.
- In conclusion I’m convinced that our nations and the world stand to gain tremendously if we continue to embrace that progress for women is progress for us all. Investing in women is more than a matter of rights; It is the right thing to do.
My Government remains committed to the realization of Gender equality and the Empowerment of Women.
I thank you.