JOINT COMMUNIQUE OF THE REPUBLIC OF KENYA AND FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF SOMALIA
On June 8, 2016 In Statements and Speeches
th to 8th June, 2016.
President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud visited Dadaab Refugee Camp on Monday 6th June, 2016 and addressed the refugees. He assured them that the Government of Somalia is committed to receive them back home to participate in the process of state building, peace building and national reconciliation. He reassured them that the repatriation will be orderly, humane and dignified as per the Tripartite Agreement. President Mohamud expressed deep gratitude for the generosity and hospitality of Kenyans for hosting his people for the past quarter of a century.
H.E. President Uhuru Kenyatta and H.E. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud held bilateral talks at State House Nairobi on Tuesday, 7th June, 2016. The meeting reviewed a wide range of bilateral and multilateral issues in particular peace, security and stability in Somalia, repatriation of refugees from Dadaab and economic cooperation.
In this regard, the two leaders:
- Reaffirmedthe good neighbourliness, bonds of heritage, shared destiny and the cordial relationship that exists between Kenya and Somalia, which are defined by a common desire for peace, stability and prosperity.
- Appreciatedthe contribution of African countries within the framework of the African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM) in stabilizing Somalia and commended the value of cooperation between AMISOM and the Somalia Security Forces in securing a stable environment for state building in line with Somalia’s Vision 2016.
- Further Appreciatedthe key role Kenya continues to play in promoting peace, security, unity and stability in Somalia.
- Noted the progress made in the political process and expressed confidence that the upcoming election will lead to a foundation for stable and prosperous Somalia.
- Committed to working jointly on the orderly, humane and dignified repatriation of the Somali refugees back to Somalia as per the Tripartite Agreement.
- Underscoredthat the Tripartite Agreement provides the framework for fast-tracking orderly, humane and dignified repatriation of the Somali refugees.
- Notedwith appreciation that this cooperation endeavour will enhance the spirit of proactive collaboration over and above the framework of the Tripartite Agreement.
- Called uponthe international community in line with the principles of burden sharing to support this process by providing adequate support to the Federal Government of Somalia to receive the returnees.
- On bilateral cooperation,Directed, the immediate convening of the Joint Commission for Co-operation to follow up on its implementation particularly on joint border crossing and security, trade and investment, health, education, sports and youth, culture and scientific research and communication.
- Agreedthat in the short term, the customs and immigration clearance procedures for flights from Somalia to Kenya be carried out at one point of entry to be determined soon; and, in the long term develop modalities for a direct flight between Somalia and Kenya.
- On regional issues,Agreed, to consult the Chair of IGAD Assembly of Heads of State and Government on the convening of the IGAD Summit in Mogadishu.
President Mohamud thanked his brother and colleague President Kenyatta and his Government for the gracious invitation. He invited President Kenyatta to visit Somalia in the near future. President Kenyatta accepted the invitation.
The two Presidents rededicated themselves and their Governments to enhance and further deepen the cordial relations that exist between Kenya and Somalia.
8th June 2016
- Reaffirmedtheir firm commitment to work together on areas of mutual interest.
At the invitation of H.E. Uhuru Kenyatta, C.G.H, President of the Republic of Kenya and Commander in Chief of the Kenya Defence Forces, H.E. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of the Federal Republic of Somalia paid a three day Official Visit to Kenya from 6
February 22, 2020 In Latest News
President Uhuru Kenyatta has urged Kenyans to work together ...
February 21, 2020 In Latest News
NAIROBI, 21 February 2020 (PSCU) – First Lady Margaret Ken
February 21, 2020 In Latest News
NAIROBI, 21 February 2020, (PSCU) — President Uhuru Kenyatt